As more businesses and institutions begin to reopen, I urge you to take these steps to protect public health and require businesses to meet strong health and safety standards:
Step 1: Safe workplaces
- Expand COVID-19 testing and make it broadly available
- Ensure sufficient equipment (including PPE) and capacity to health workers and hospitals
- Require businesses to follow CDC guidelines and best practices
Step 2: Safe Commutes
- Allocate additional resource to public transit agencies to ensure transit workers have PPE
- Support transit agencies in developing and implementing plans for safe workplace and service including safe distancing, sanitation and ventilation.
Step 3: Safe Communities
- Strengthen environmental protections and enforcement
- Invest in green infrastructure and job creation
Step 4: Equitable Access to Healthcare
- Increase funding for communities and facilities hit hardest.
- Release low-risk vulnerable individuals from prisons.
Step 5: Fair Access to Relief and Recovery
- End discrimination in relief programs.
- Provide job placement and training to get people back to work.
- Provide emergency support until the emergency is over.
This crisis has reinforced that we are all interconnected and we are only as strong as the most vulnerable among us. I urge you to ensure these pre-conditions are met before allowing businesses to re-open. We must protect those individuals and communities most vulnerable and at risk for COVID-19.